Sunday, October 30, 2011

Italy

I need to go to Italy. Magic happens in Italy. The lost, confused,and alone flock to Italy and come back with renewed vigor and true love. Chick flicks are evidence of this.

Think about it:
Letters to Juliet, The Lizzie McGuire Movie, Roman Holiday (sob!), The Italian Job, Much Ado About Nothing, and Return to Me. And these are only the ones I've seen.

Speaking of Return to Me, it's quite possibly one of my favorite movies. Grace and Bob are at very different points in life. He's grieving a recently dead wife. She's getting used to life without heart disease (courtesy of a new heart.) Their paths cross in an Italian restaurant, and thus begins one of the purest, most romantic relationships I've ever seen on a screen. In middle school my journal heard all about how I wanted one of the "smiley kisses" Bob and Grace shared. Their kisses were not lust-driven, passion-filled maulings. Their first kiss was short, slow, awkward, and sweet. As they stepped back they were both wearing dopey grins. Smiley kiss.

Predictably, a conflict had to be introduced to the story or it wouldn't have been a good story. Tears were involved. Bob went home and Grace went to....you guessed it: Italy. There she painted and sat on rooftops and road her bicycle. And of course Bob realized what an idiot he had been and went to Italy, effectively crushing all doubt of their love. They lived happily ever after.
I think everyone has days when they want to go to Italy. To clear their heads. To change it up. To fall in love. To get over love.

I want to go to Italy because I think it'd be fun to red a red bicycle on cobblestones.

No comments:

Post a Comment