Thursday, January 26, 2012

I FOUND IT!

I found it! The most wonderful kitchen tool anyone could ever hope for...and no, it's not a creme brulee torch.

It's THIS:

A Saladmaster Food Grater!

This lil' baby has been used in my house since I was....probably a baby. I'll have to check with my mom on that one. We use it to grate/shred anything: cheese, carrots, potatoes, almond paste...Oh, it's heavenly.
You have to hold other graters steady, and move your whole arm up and down while applying pressure to get whatever it is to grate. With these, all you have to do is push the food down onto the grater cone and turn a handle. Voila!

They seem to have been around forever, or at least the '60s, so when I looked them up on ebay they were listed as a vintage kitchen appliance. Maybe I just like vintage things...

My only question now is How the heck am I going to get my hands on one of these??? On ebay they range from $12 to $300+!

Rumor has it that my aunt Julie found one at DI once, so keep an eye out for me! (Even if you don't want to give it to me, keep an eye out to get one for yourself. They are

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING! My internet died and that last part didn't save...

    ReplyDelete